Yay! It's time for another Pinterest Challenge, hosted by the lovely ladies of Young House Love, Bower Power, Centsational Girl, and Ten June!
For the summer edition, I decided to put all those bottle caps that came with our Coke machine to use and create a...
...as inspired by this pin from Sweet Something Designs:
Adorable, right? And super easy. So here we go.
First, grab a beat up wooden tray you scored at Goodwill for $1.50 over a year ago, which has been waiting patiently for its much-needed makeover.
Then line up all your bottle caps to make sure you have enough, and also to determine the layout.
Then spread out a drop cloth in your garage, grab three Walmart bags (or however many colors you will be doing) and divvy up the bottle caps.
Now for the fun part: spray painting! I already had the teal and yellow so I chose the Rustoleum Lime Green to coordinate. I picked up a can of gloss white for 97 cents at Home Depot, but ended up deciding that black was a better choice for the tray. Spray paint cans are always evolving, it seems, yet no one can truly get it right. The new Valspar can (the blue) has an awesome top... you just twist it to open and spray to your heart's content. However, the button you have to push down to spray is extremely hard to push. I have to use two fingers and sometimes both hands just to get the paint to come out. Score 1 for the cap, -10 for the spray button. The old Valspar can is easier to spray but has a pesky cap that I always have a hard time getting off. Now for the holy grail of spray paints: Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2X. I've never used Rustoleum spray paint before (I actually went in Home Depot to get some Krylon, which apparently they no longer carry), but I have to say that the can doesn't lie when it says Ultra Cover. I had to put at least 3 coats on the teal and yellow bottle caps, while one coat pretty much did it for the green. It comes out all thick and milky and I just LOOOOVE it. Gah, it took about 1.5 seconds to spray all the green bottle caps. Talk about a time saver. Seriously, try the Ultra Cover... genius.
Okay, enough talk about spray painting... here are the caps all done!
And the tray with its coat of glossy black.
I was originally just going to put the bottle caps in randomly - no pattern - but then I had the idea that I could do a little chevron action. And ta da - here she is!
Do you know how hard it is to glue bottle caps down? They're uneven and hollow in the middle, so after two rows, I just gave up and sprayed over the whole thing with a glossy clear coat, which seemed to make them stick together well enough. I think I will eventually add some resin to protect it further.
This next photo is my favorite. Hello, gorgeous.
For those joining me from the Pinterest Challenge... Welcome! I hope you'll stick around a while. Sometimes I do furniture makeovers, sometimes a little organizing, sometimes I work on the room makeover that never ends: my craft room, sometimes I sew some things, and sometimes I paint my nails, among other things. You can click on my project gallery at the top of the page to see more fun things! Which reminds me... I should really update that. :)